I am a total sucker for gift guides and uber-commercialized holidays in general–give me a gift guide and I will throw all priorities to the wayside as I peruse it, dreaming about how my life might be significantly improved by each often-too-pricey item. I also make extensive lists of great gifts for friends and family that I simply cannot afford…but, hey, it’s the thought that counts right? Perhaps this year I should just print that shit out with a little note explaining my case: “Hey there! Look at all the stuff I would buy you to prove my love (for you, but mostly just for buying things) if I could even remotely pay for it. Stick around and maybe, just maybe, you’ll be rewarded one day!” Perhaps.
But in the meantime, I thought I’d share a list of tried-and-true items that I actually own, that aren’t too expensive, and that I know would make great gifts for you or someone equally cool. Apologies in advance for the female or effeminate-leaning gifts, but studies show that I do have a vagina.
1. Several Short Sentences About Writing by Verlyn Klinkenborg ($12.34)
A funny, straightforward book about surviving (and even thriving through) the writing process.
2. Boots Expert Anti-Blemish Night Moisturizer ($5.16)
Been using this stuff for a few months and I love it. My pores are noticeably smaller and my complexion has a more even tone.
3. Williams-Sonoma The Original Peppermint Bark 1 lb Tin ($39.45)
If you haven’t tried this peppermint bark, you haven’t really tried peppermint bark. Or lived, for that matter.
4. Gap Women Cozy Stripe Scarf ($29.95)
Call me basic, but I love this scarf.
5. adidas Originals Gazelle Shoe – Women or Men ($49.95-$104.99/depending)
I have the black and white women’s version and love ’em. They look cool on everybody–’nuff said.
6. Women in Clothes by Sheila Heti, etc. ($18.98)
Worth all the hype–my mom sent it to me and I’m hooked; it’s thick and filled with shorter pieces, so great for picking up at random.
7. Voluspa Moso Small Glass Jar Candle ($10.00)
Voluspa candles tend to be pricey, which is why the minis are great.
8. The Woman Destroyed by Simone de Beauvoir ($12.08)
I finally got around to reading this legendary writer and if you care about women in any capacity, you will too. #nopressure
9. UnderArmour Women’s UA Tech Short Sleeve V-Neck Medium Black ($18.99)
I’m a pretty avid runner and I find UnderArmour gear to be the best bang for your buck. This tee is my fave.
10. Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray, Unisex ($45.02)
This is one of the few beauty products worth “splurging” on. My hair is thin and frizzy–this transforms it on the worst days and smells freaking amazing.
11. Subculture: The Meaning of Style by Dick Hebdige ($25.50)
This is one of those rare books I was required to read for a class a while back that I ended up genuinely enjoying. It’s a good gift for anyone into lofty theorizing about cultural trends, or any racists on your list who need a reminder of all the things white culture has stolen from African Americans.
12. TABLETOPICS Not Your Mom’s Dinner Party: Questions to Start Great Conversations ($25.00)
I bought these for my family one year and they are so much fun–despite having gone through them all numerous times, we constantly revisit them. If your family is conservative I recommend a more PC version (try the Americana one, no joke).
13. La Perla Rosa Lace Brazilian Panty ($38.00)
While all my undergarments are certainly not so fancy, I do believe in the power of some good lingerie. Not for the sake of others but simply for yourself. And my LP’s haven’t worn down at all over the years, so they’re a worthy investment.
14. Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment 0.5 oz ($22.00)
Her stuff is worth the hype–great results without being too harsh on the skin.
15. Jack Black Balm Squad Lip Trio ($19.50)
This line is technically made for men, but their lip balm is my favorite. Minty and not too sticky.
16. Sadnecessary by Milky Chance ($5.00)
This might just be my favorite album of the year. I feel like no one gifts CDs anymore, but you could always send it to someone on iTunes.
Categories: Sharing n' Caring